The bright red colored food which is always confused for being a fruit or vegetable has multiple health benefits to offer. The red color to the tomatoes is due to the presence of lycopene, which makes it rich in Vitamin A. It has many antioxidants properties, & the basic taste of tomato is because it a low acid food. Tomatoes are found in countless foods ranging from pickle to pasta.
WHY SHOULD YOU EAT TOMATOES?
- Abundance of Antioxidants: Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants, which is the main reason it helps in fighting against cancer by scavenging the free radicals. It also prevents aging & help in maintaining a clearer skin. Harvard School of Public Health conducted a study which concludes the benefits of eating tomatoes for protecting against breast & mouth cancer.
- Lowers your High Blood Pressure: Blood Pressure can be controlled by having foods rich in Potassium, a mineral- that lowers the blood pressure & preserves the good health of the heart.
- Manages your Diabetes: The nutrients present in the tomatoes, particularly Magnesium stabilizes the blood glucose levels in the body, thereby managing your diabetes.
- Protects against Smoking: Smoking, an addiction is the main cause behind lung cancer. If you want to safeguard your lungs, adopt eating tomatoes regularly as the components-coumaric & cholorogenic acid counters the loss caused by nitros-amines which are carcinogenic & developed in the body post smoking.
Apply the seeds of tomatoes on the place on acne or a scar & see it disappearing with regular application within a week
5. Rich Sources of Various Vitamins & Minerals: Being rich in Vitamin A, it contributes not only to the red color of tomatoes but also gives you improved vision.
It is rich in Vitamin C, which is essential for maintaining good health of skin, hair & nails. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that scavenges the free radicals which causes aging & cancer. Tomatoes have fair amount of Vitamin K which prevents blood clotting & maintain good health of a woman during mensus. It is rich in Potassium, Manganese, Copper & Magnesium. These minerals contribute to lowering the blood pressure (Potassium), kills germs (Manganese), prevents in building up of unwanted fats (Copper) & maintains good muscles, regulates blood sugar levels (Magnesium).
Tomatoes are good source of dietary fibre – which regulates the bowel movement & improves digestion, thereby inducing weight loss.Tomatoes are a one point solution if you are suffering from urinary tract infections, hypertension, acne & ageing.
Have your tomatoes regularly
Author: Akansha Dalmia,
Food & Health Blogger – thewellbeingtalk.com