Life is a sequence of many events, some of which are directly proportional to our mood and mental state. Getting anxious quickly, lack of proper sleep, heart related problems can also makes some of us easily depressed.
It may be suggested that we take a look at some of our local foods, and see how some of them may have therapeutic applications. In total you may be able to solve some of our issues from eating nutritiously. So, stop relying on unnecessary pills, and munch on some of our local foods. Of importance are the foods that are presently seasonal, as they will be less expensive than the those which are not in season. Did you know that mood changing can be done via our food as well? There are some other foods, that persons may not be aware of that help us fight depression, that can also change our mood and quickly.
Cashew – The most humble nut
- Feeling dead tired or sleepless? Crack this nut, munch it (slowly) enjoy the taste and texture and see the anxiousness running away from you.
- Many men complain of getting up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep till dawn… Cashew nuts is your solution. The combination of Vitamin B6 and Tryptophan (an amino acid) is a natural anti-depressant.
- Cashew is helpful to someone who is undergoing hormonal transition phase from hitting puberty to menopause or going through a rough break up, cashews keeps mind calm and composed.
Tryptophan – helps the uptake of serotonin in the brain and this is a direct relation to the hormones used to help depression. No serotonin means – we are more anxious more stressed and a lot more sad. Magnesium in the cashew also helps our mood and nervous system. Magnesium also help ward off low blood sugar and reduce anxiety.
Persons with nut allergies should exercise due caution and consult a personal physician for their expert intervention.
Another Magical Fruit is Banana:
Right from solving depression, insomnia problems to losing weight, it has so much to offer us… The cheapest yet ignorant fruit with a dozen benefits. Ross Bonander said it well, “Bananas are a great source of the neurotransmitter serotonin, the levels of which are said to be low in the brains of depressed people…” (psyweb.com)
- Eat bananas right after waking up – on an empty stomach. They are rich in Tryptophan (an amino acid) and Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine); which helps in elevating mood.
- Bananas can fight insomnia. Boil cut slices of bananas in water for 15 mins and strain it; add cinnamon to it and drink one hour before sleeping. The Vitamin B6 helps in releasing serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps you relax and sleep better.
- Banana contains 10 mg of Dopamine. Dopamine is an antioxidant, which is a “reward chemical” giving pleasure. Its almost like taking a long hot shower, that’s the same effect
The miracle “Chocolate”
Chocolate is a joy stimulant. It has been studied thoroughly and it has been proven that people who drank a polyphenol-rich chocolate drink once daily reported feeling calmer and more content than those who did not…(Journal of Psychopharmacology)
- Cocoa contains “serotonin” which is an anti-depressant. Serotonin maintains mood balance and lack of it may cause depression.
- Women prior to and during menstruation munch on chocolate when the brain serotonin goes down.
- The melting point of chocolate is the same as the human body temperature. Chocolate stimulates the release of endorphin which brings us pleasure when chocolate is melted on the tongue. Some sources suggest no more than an ounce or two a day. These chemicals are also seen as natural pain killers.
However the best benefits are seen from the dark chocolate, which contain mono-amine oxidase inhibitors. in other words this compound makes your “high” last longer.